The Houston Dynamo and Aston Villa will play on July 26 in the sixth edition of the BBVA Compass Dynamo Charities Cup. Aston Villa will be the fourth European club that the Dynamo have played and the third from England's Barclays Premier League.
“We are extremely pleased to be hosting Aston Villa and honored to have them here for the Dynamo Charities Cup,” said Dynamo president Chris Canetti. “They are a club with a great history and storied tradition from one of the greatest soccer leagues in the world. It will be an exciting night for our club and fans.”
- INDIVIDUAL TICKETS
- SCARF 2-PACK
- BBVA COMPASS BUSINESS OF SPORTS BENEFITTING JUNIOR ACHIEVEMENT
- CLUB AND COUNTRY PARTIAL PLAN
For more information call the Houston Dynamo ticket office at (713) 276-GOAL.
- Aston Villa is one of only seven English teams to stay within the Barclay’s Premier League for all 22 seasons since its inception in 1992.
- Last year, Stoke City came to Houston for the BBVA Compass Dynamo Charities Cup celebrating its 150th anniversary. Aston Villa follows with a trip to Houston this year as it celebrates its 140th anniversary this year after it was founded in 1874.
- Villa won the 1982 European Cup, which is now named the UEFA Champions League, the world’s most prestigious club competition. They beat Bayern Munich 1-0 in the final and are one of only five English clubs to win the competition.
- Villa is completing its 103rd season in the top flight of English soccer this year. Only Everton (111 seasons) has spent more seasons in the top division.
- The club’s home stadium, Villa Park, opened in 1897. It was the first English stadium to host international matches in three different centuries.
- Villa set an English top-flight goal scoring record with 128 goals in the 1930-31 season.
Photo Courtesy of Action Images / Carl Recine
Aston Villa is captained by Dutch defender Ron Vlaar, who was recently named to several Best XI teams for his performances in the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Villa had two other players represented at the World Cup this summer. USMNT goalkeeper Brad Guzan served as Tim Howard's backup in Brazil, and defender Philippe Senderos—who was signed just prior to the tournament—made an appearance for Switzerland after stints in the previous two World Cups.
Villa could have had a fourth representative in Brazil in the form of Christian Benteke, but the Belgian striker suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon in April and was ruled out. The club recently signed a veteran of England's 2010 World Cup team, Joe Cole, and includes Gabriel Agbonlahor, Darren Bent and Kieran Richardson, who have also featured for the Three Lions at one point or another.
Villa's young core includes midfielder Leandro Bacuna, 22, who has five goals in 35 appearances in his debut season and made 20 combined appearances for the Netherlands U-19 and U-21 national teams, and Andreas Weimann, 22, who had five goals and four assists in 37 appearances this season and 11 caps for the Austria national team.
WATCH: Dynamo vs. Stoke City
The BBVA Compass Dynamo Charities Cup is an annual event bringing prominent international teams to Houston to raise money for charity. It began in 2009 when the Dynamo beat Mexican club Monterrey 2-1. In 2010, the Dynamo welcomed Águila from San Miguel, El Salvador, and rolled to a 4-0 win. The 2011 edition saw the Dynamo fall 2-0 to their first European opponent, English Premier League club Bolton Wanderers. The Dynamo played Spanish club Valencia and lost 2-1 in 2012, but defeated Stoke City of England 2-0 last year.
Proceeds from this year’s Dynamo Charities Cup will go toward the “Building a Better Houston” initiative, a campaign led by Dynamo Charities and BBVA Compass to make improvements in Houston’s East End. The program will include: a home renovation with Rebuilding Together in May; a Food Bank event during July’s Dynamo Charities Week; financial education programs for East End students in September; and the “Business of Sports” program with Junior Achievement this fall.
DYNAMO STRIKES BOWLING EVENT benefiting Big Brothers Big Sisters
Date: Wednesday July 23, 2014
Event Time: 7 p.m.
Location: BowlMor Lanes
Address: 925 Bunker Hill Rd. Houston, TX 77024
FIREBALLS EXHIBITION GAME
Date: Thursday, July 24, 2014
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Fonde Community Center
Address: 110 Sabine, Houston, TX 77002