BBVA Compass Dynamo Charities Cup
With the Dynamo Charities Cup less than a month away, we want to update you on what's happening with the Stoke City squad.
In addition to playing the Houston Dynamo on July 24 and FC Dallas on July 27, Stoke City has recently added a macth against the Philadelphia Union on July 30 to round out the Potter's U.S. tour. Former Dynamo all-star and current Stoke City midfielder Geoff Cameron makes his first return since his transfer to the EPL last year.
Mark Hughes replaced Tony Pulis as manager of Stoke City after Pulis was fired last month. Hughes' first move as manager was signing winger Jermaine Pennant to a new one-year contract. Other than that, the new manager does not plan on adding a significant number of new players to the squad.
Stoke City Player of the Year Asmir Begovic is pleased that the club brought in Mark Hughes to lead the squad. He believes that Hughes, with his successful managerial record, will be able to guide the squad to be a consistent top-half team for years to come.
Stoke City announced the signing of two new coaches who will work under new manager Mark Hughes on June 20. Mark Bowen will serve as assistant manager to Hughes, while Eddie Niedzwiecki joins the squad as first team coach. Both men have previously worked with Hughes on other teams.
New-signee Jermaine Pennant says that the Stoke City fans were a huge reason for his signing a new contract with the squad. He believes this new era for the club with a change in management and attitude will help the club going forward.
In their first five games of the 2013-2014 season, Stoke City will face three tough opponents: Liverpool on opening day, Manchester City on September 14th and Arsenal a week later. Despite the difficult start, the Potters are embracing the challenge.
After the U.S. national team's 1-0 victory over Honduras, Stoke City's Geoff Cameron's dream of playing for the U.S. in the World Cup next year in Brazil are getting closer to becoming reality. Cameron has played a vital role for the stars and stripes by being featured in each of the U.S.'s World Cup Qualification matches this term.
Former Dynamo and current Stoke City defender/midfielder Geoff Cameron was in town for Saturday's match against Toronto FC, and we caught up with him to get his thoughts on the BBVA Compass Dynamo Chariites Cup match between the Dynamo and Stoke City on July 24.
Tickets are still available for this exciting matchup, which benefits Dynamo Charities' Building a Better Houston program. Visit HoustonDynamo.com/Stoke for more info and tickets.
Three weeks ago, it was announced the Dynamo would meet Stoke City on July 24 in the fifth edition of the BBVA Compass Dynamo Charities Cup.
While many fans know that Americans Geoff Cameron and Brek Shea play for Stoke, we highlighted three other players to watch: forwards Jonathan Walters and Peter Crouch and defender Ryan Shawcross.
Another player worth highlighting is goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, who won four club awards last week at the club's End of Season Awards Dinner. The 25-year-old with 20 caps for the Bosnian national team was popular among teammates, coaches andf fans, picking up silverware in four categories: Supporter Clubs' Player of the Year, Players' Player of the Year, Coaching Staff's Player of the Year (co-winner with Shawcross), and Fan's Player of the Year.
The goalkeeper told StokeCityFC.com: "I never expected all of this, I came here to play my part in the evening. This gives me the motivation to go away and try even harder next season."
Begovic started all 38 Premier League games this season and recorded 12 shutouts.
2012-13 Stoke City Awards
SUPPORTERS CLUB PLAYER OF THE YEAR
GOAL OF THE SEASON
YOUNG PLAYER OF THE YEAR
PLAYERS’ PLAYER OF THE YEAR
COACHING STAFF’S PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Asmir Begovic and Ryan Shawcross
FANS’ PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Stoke City ended its season on Sunday with a 1-1 draw at Southampton. It was the final appearance for Michael Owen, who announced his retirement in March and entered as a substitute for the final game in his career. Owen scored 40 goals in 89 career appearances for the English national team, including goals at the 1998 World Cup, 2000 European Championships, 2002 World Cup and 2004 European Championships to become the first player to score in four major tournaments for England. Owen won the European Player of the Year award (Ballon d'Or) in 2001.
Stoke City Football Club was founded in 1863 and is the oldest soccer club in the English Premier League and the second oldest professional club in the world (only Notts County, 1862, is older). With the Dynamo set to face Stoke City on July 24, here is a look back at what was happening in the world 150 years ago.
Key world events in 1863:
- January: The Emancipation Proclamation was issued by President Abraham Lincoln
- January: Workers began construction of the First Transcontinental Railroad in the United States
- January: The first section of the London Undergound subway system (Paddington to Farrington Street) opened
- June: The Arts Club was founded in London by Charles Dickens and Frederic Leighton
- October: President Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving to be celebrated the final Thursday in November
- October: The Brooklyn, Bath and Coney Island Rail Road opens in Brooklyn, the oldest route in the New York subway system
- October: Steamed locomotives were introduced in North Wales.
- October: The Football Association is formed in London as the governing body of English Football (soccer) and the first FA in the world
- November: President Lincoln delivers the Gettysburg Address
- December: The Laws of the Game are approved at a meeting of the FA, creating “Association Football”, including field dimensions, goal size, and other basic rules
- December: 11 days later, the first soccer game is played in London under the new Football Association rules, ending in a goalless draw
Other 1863 notes:
- In 1863, a postage stamp cost two cents
- The U.S. was comprised of 36 states by the end of 1863
- Sam Houston and Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson died
- William Randolph Hearst and Henry Ford were born