So with the Dynamo having two weeks off from MLS play, I decided to take two weeks off from providing fantasy advice. Hopefully your team didn't suffer too much!
This weekend, the Dynamo travel to Chicago for an Eastern Conference tilt with the Fire. Historically, the Dynamo have done well at Toyota Park, coming away with a 3-1-2 record and 10 goals scored in six matches.
This weekend should be an interesting one from a fantasy perspective. Midfielders Adam Moffat and Colin Clark are suspended and Brad Davis is doubtful with a calf injury. Since Colin Clark would normally be the replacement for Davis on the left hand side, Dominic Kinnear will have to dig into his bag of tricks to fill out Sunday's lineup card. He could start Jermaine Taylor at left back and move Corey Ashe into a familiar position at left mid, or he could leave Corey Ashe at left back and play anyone from Alex Dixon to Je-Vaughn Watson to Calen Carr to Mac Kandji at the outside mid positions.
With that said, here are a few key notes heading into Sunday's showdown with the Fire:
- In 13 career games against the Fire, Brian Ching has scored four goals and tallied three assists. If you recall two years ago, it was against Chicago that Ching recorded a hat trick in a 4-3 shootout at Robertson Stadium.
- Bobby Boswell scored five goals last year but has yet to record a goal this year. However, Boswell did score the game-tying goal at Toyota Park in 2011. The Dynamo center back has three career goals against Chicago.
- With Brad Davis, Colin Clark and Adam Moffat out, it will be interesting to see who steps up to take set pieces. As a natural left-footed player, Corey Ashe could swing in some crosses from the right side of the field. And maybe Luiz Camargo will have the opportunity from the left? Regardless, whoever steps up to the set pieces will have ample opportunity to record some assists.
- Dynamo goalkeeper Tally Hall has only faced the Fire twice and each time he has come away with a 1-1 draw. The second-year starter has look solid in 2012 and with speedsters Dominic Oduro and Patrick Nyarko up top for Chicago, look for Hall to have a busy night on Sunday.
- The Fire have three players all-time who have scored two goals or more against the Dynamo. Thankfully, one of those players (Calen Carr) now wears orange and the other two are no longer with the club. Dominic Oduro played twice against his former club in 2011 and scored the Fire's lone goal at Robertson Stadium. The man has speed, and Chicago will look to go to him early and often against the Dynamo back line.
Hopefully this provides you a little more insight into Sunday's matchup from a fantasy perspective. As always, I take no credit if you start a player I suggest and he does well and I take no blame if you start a player I suggest and he doesn't perform up to your fantasy standards.
Don't forget to set your lineups by tomorrow and good luck this weekend!