Houston finally get FIFA clearance for Ngwenya

Dynamo able to play Zimbabwean striker after receiving ITC

HOU_Getty_2007_Joseph_Ngwenya

Photo Credit: 
Greg Bartram/Getty

 

HOUSTON – The Dynamo finally got some good news on Thursday as they officially received FIFA clearance to field forward Joseph Ngwenya.

The Zimbabwean forward, who had been signed more than a month ago, will now officially be allowed to join Houston and will be available for selection this weekend against D.C. United.

“We’re glad to have Joe back,” said coach Dominic Kinnear. “We think he can help us and contribute to what we hope will be a successful season.”

The former Dynamo forward last played for Houston in the 2007 MLS Cup where he scored a goal and helped the Orange win their second consecutive championship. After that season, Ngwenya left Houston and spent time in both Germany and Turkey.

When Ngwenya was reacquired in April, the hope was the forward would be able to step in and contribute immediately. During that time, Houston had suffered several injuries to their forwards. However, Ngwenya’s former Turkish club Antalyaspor withheld his International Transfer Certificate, delaying Houston’s ability to register and play him.

While forward Brian Ching is still away with the US National Team, forward Cam Weaver, though, is on the brink of returning from his injury. As a result, Kinnear may go from having only one healthy forward available on the roster to possibly having three or four for Saturday’s game vs. D.C.

Since his signing, Ngwenya has been practicing regularly with the team. The month of practice has been good for the forward as to clear out the rust. But he says he didn’t enjoy not being able to suit up.

“It’s been frustrating,” said Ngwenya. “The Dynamo have been very patient with me. I’m excited to be back. Hopefully I can come in and help the team.”

Dwain Capodice is a contributor to MLSsoccer.com. Questions or Comments can be sent via email to dwaincapodice@gmail.com.