Match Preview: Dynamo vs. Sporting Kansas City
Houston Dynamo vs. Sporting Kansas City
Wednesday, July 18, 7:30 p.m. CT
BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston, Texas
All-time series: Dynamo lead 5-3-5
Fox Sports Houston - 7:30 p.m.
MultiMedios Houston - 7 p.m.
La Ranchera 850 - 7 p.m.
SportsTalk 790 - 7 p.m.
The Houston Dynamo and Sporting Kansas City meet for the second time in 11 days Wednesday, when the clubs face off at BBVA Compass Stadium. The Dynamo haven’t allowed a goal in three games, extending their home unbeaten streak with a 4-0 triumph against D.C. United last Sunday. Sporting are also on a shutout streak in their three-game unbeaten run, coming off a 2-0 win Saturday at Columbus.
Mark Kadlecik. SAR (bench): Greg Barkey; JAR (opposite): Brian Dunn; 4th: Jasen Anno MLS Career: 21 games; FC/gm: 24.7; Y/gm: 3.5; R: 6; pens: 7
INJURY REPORT PRESENTED BY THE METHODIST HOSPITAL SYSTEM (As of Tuesday, July 17)
HOUSTON DYNAMO -- QUESTIONABLE: MF Adam Moffat (R adductor strain) ... SPORTING KANSAS CITY – OUT: DF Cyprian Hedrick (L fibula fracture); GK Jon Kempin (R ankle fracture); QUESTIONABLE: FW Jacob Peterson (L ankle sprain); PROBABLE: DF Korede Aiyegbusi (R knee sprain); FW Bobby Convey (L calf strain); FW Kei Kamara (L knee contusion); DF Lawrence Olum (L groin strain); MF Graham Zusi (R quad strain)
INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: None
- ALL-TIME (13 meetings): Dynamo 5 wins, 18 goals ... Sporting 3 wins, 15 goals ... Ties 5
- AT HOUSTON (6 meetings): Dynamo 2 wins, 10 goals ... Sporting 1 win, 6 goals ... Ties 3
- FUTURE MATCH: 9/14: Sporting Kansas City vs. Houston Dynamo, 7:30 p.m. CT (NBC SN)
- The teams are meeting for the second time this season, after playing to a scoreless draw on July 7 at Livestrong Sporting Park.
- The teams met in last year’s Eastern Conference Championship, won 2-0 by the Dynamo at Livestrong Sporting Park. It was the second time the teams had met with a trip to the MLS Cup Final on the line (also 2007, also won 2-0 by Houston).
- After winning the first meeting ever between the clubs, April 8, 2006 at Robertson Stadium, Kansas City has not won in Houston. The Dynamo have won three of the six MLS league and cup meetings since at home (with three draws).
- In league play, Sporting have a four-game unbeaten streak alive vs. Houston, winning the two meetings in Kansas City before the first match draw this year.
- Coaches record: Dominic Kinnear vs. KC: P19 W7 L5 D7 ... Peter Vermes vs. HOU: P6 W2 L1 D3
- LAST MEETING (MLS) 7/7: KC 0, HOU 0
- The closest either team came to scoring came in the 33rd minute, when Sporting's Jacob Peterson ripped a low shot off the left post.
- Houston had a chance to steal the game late, but it was thwarted when defender Aurélien Collin and goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen combined to stop Brian Ownby’s shot in the 90th minute.
- Dynamo goalkeeper Tally Hall had four saves, while Nielsen was credited with two, for their respective shutouts.
- SPORTING KANSAS CITY (4-2-3-1): Jimmy Nielsen - Chance Myers, Aurelien Collin, Matt Besler, Seth Sinovic - Paulo Nagamura, Roger Espinoza - Jacob Peterson, Graham Zusi, Kei Kamara (Soony Saad 81) - C.J. Sapong (Teal Bunbury 68).
- HOUSTON DYNAMO (4-3-3): Tally Hall - Andre Hainault, Jermaine Taylor, Bobby Boswell, Corey Ashe - Luiz Camargo (Warren Creavalle 66), Adam Moffat, Brad Davis - Boniek Garcia, Will Bruin (Brian Ching 66), Macoumba Kandji (Brian Ownby 80).
Tally Hall, Brad Davis and Brian Ching discuss Wednesday's match