Dynamo Charities receive J. Howard Rambin III Founder’s Award for beautifying Houston
Dynamo Charities, presented by Halliburton Charitable Foundation, has received the J. Howard Rambin III Founder’s Award, it was announced today. Dynamo president Chris Canetti accepted the award, which honors an organization’s time and efforts to beautify the city of Houston.
The award commends Dynamo Charities for its participation in “Building a Better Houston”, presented by BBVA Compass, a community improvement campaign for Houston’s East End neighborhood that started before the opening of BBVA Compass Stadium and will continue to impact Houston through the life of the partnership.
“Building a Better Planet” and “Building a Better Community” were two community initiatives within the Building a Better Houston campaign that received recognition for improving Houston. During the Building a Better Planet recycling drive, Dynamo fans gathered more than 3,000 lbs of recyclable materials. The 1.5 tons of mixed recyclables collected resulted in the following environmental impact:
• 26 Trees saved
• 6,116 KWH of energy conserved
• 10,430 gallons of water preserved
• 5 cubic yards of landfill saved
• 881 lbs of air pollution eliminated
With the participation of Dynamo Charities volunteers, the Rebuilding Together Foundation, and a $50,000 grant from the BBVA Compass Foundation, several improvements were made within Houston’s East End. The Building a Better Community project, produced the following results:
• Three homes in Houston’s East End neighborhood owned by low-income, elderly citizens received exterior home repairs, including window replacements, new roofs, wheel chair-accessible ramps and painting and carpentry repairs
• In partnership with the Houston Parks and Recreation Department and the City of Houston, Settegast Park in the East End received trash pickup and landscaping, including new mulch for trees
• 90 BBVA Compass Bank employees and 20 Dynamo employees committed a total of 550 volunteer hours