Game Notes: Dynamo vs Santos
Houston Dynamo vs Santos
Tuesday, March 5, 7 p.m. CT
BBVA Compass Stadium
First meeting between the two clubs
Fox Soccer - 7 p.m. (Click here to view channel guide)
Yahoo! Sports Radio 1560 AM 6:30 p.m.
La Ranchera 850 - 6:30 p.m.
The Houston Dynamo and Santos Laguna of Mexico open their CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal series on Tuesday night at BBVA Compass Stadium. The clubs will meet for the first time on Tuesday after both clubs advanced to the quarterfinals by winning their respective Champions League groups last fall. The second leg of the two-game, aggregate score series is on Wednesday, March 13 at Estadio Corona in Torreon, Mexico. The club with more total goals from the two games will advance to the semifinals, which begin April 2-4. The winner of the CONCACAF Champions League will qualify for the 2013 FIFA Club World Cup, to be held in December in Morocco.
REF: Roberto Moreno (PAN); AR1: Daniel Williamson (PAN); AR2: Keytzel Corrales Mojica (NCA); 4th: John Pitti (PAN).
- This is the first meeting between the two clubs
LAST MATCH (MLS / LIGAMX)
- The Dynamo are coming off a 2-0 win over D.C. United in the season opener on March 2.
- The win increased the Dynamo's home unbeaten streak to 26 games in MLS play and 31 games in all competitions.
- Houston took the lead in the 80th minute when D.C. United defender James Riley headed a Brad Davis corner kick into his own goal.
- Ricardo Clark sealed the game for Houston 10 minutes later when he fired a shot past Bill Hamid to give Houston a 2-0 win.
- Lineup: Tally Hall; Kofi Sarkodie, Bobby Boswell, Jermaine Taylor, Corey Ashe; Boniek Garcia, Adam Moffat, Ricardo Clark (Luiz Camargo 89), Brad Davis (Warren Creavalle 85); Giles Barnes (Brian Ching 87); Will Bruin.
- Santos currently sits in sixth place in LigaMX and are coming off a 3-1 win over Jaguares last Friday.
- Los Guerreros are 4-3-2 with a +5 goal differential through nine matches.
- In their last match, Herculez Gomez recorded a brace and Oribe Peralta added a third to increase his goal-scoring total to five on the season.
- Lineup: Oswaldo Sanchez; Jorge Estrada, Rafael Figueroa, Felipe Baloy, Osmar Mares; Darwin Quintero (Candido Ramirez 90), Marc Crosas, Juan Rodriguez, Nestor Calderon; Oribe Peralta (Mario Cardenas 89), Herculez Gomez (Andres Renteria 74).
DYNAMO IN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE / CHAMPIONS CUP
|2007 Champions Cup|
|Puntarenas (Costa Rica)||0-1, 2-0 (2-1 aggregate)||Quarterfinals|
|Pachuca (Mexico)||2-0, 2-5 aet (4-5)||Semifinals|
|2008 Champions Cup|
|CSD Municipal (Guatemala)||0-0, 3-1 (3-1 aggregate)||Quarterfinals|
|Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica)||0-0, 0-3 (0-3 aggregate)||Semifinals|
|2008-09 Champions League|
|Pumas UNAM (Mexico)||1-3, 4-4||Group Stage|
|CD Luis Angel Firpo (El Salvador)||1-0, 1-1||Group Stage|
|San Francisco FC (Panama)||2-1, 0-0||Group Stage|
|Atlante (Mexico)||1-1, 0-3 (1-4 aggregate)||Quarterfinals|
|2009-10 Champions League|
|Pachuca (Mexico)||0-1, 0-2||Group Stage|
|Arabe Unido (Panama)||5-1, 1-1||Group Stage|
|Isidro Metapan (El Salvador)||1-0, 2-3||Group Stage|
|2012-13 Champions League|
|@ CD FAS (El Salvador)||3-1||Group Stage|
|@ CD Olimpia (Honduras)||1-1||Group Stage|
|CD FAS (El Salvador)||4-0||Group Stage|
|CD Olimpia (Honduras)||1-1||Group Stage|