Houston Dynamo defeat FC Tucson 2-0 in U.S. Open Cup
The Houston Dynamo advanced to the fourth round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup with a 2-0 win over FC Tucson on Wednesday night at BBVA Compass Stadium. Alex Dixon and Giles Barnes provided the goals as the Dynamo eliminated FC Tucson in the Premier Development League club’s first Open Cup journey.
The Dynamo will meet FC Dallas in the fourth round of the Open Cup on June 12 at FC Dallas Stadium. It will be the first time the Texas rivals meet in the U.S. Open Cup since 2006, when Houston earned a 3-0 home win in the quarterfinals.
Houston’s opening goal arrived in the 26th minute. Rookie forward Jason Johnson played a ball to the feet of defender Mike Chabala near the end line. Chabala provided a first-touch cross to Dixon, who buried his shot from six yards for the opening goal.
Barnes entered as a substitute in the 72nd minute and doubled Houston’s lead 13 minutes later. The English attacker curled a free kick from 25 yards over the FC Tucson wall and into the right side of the goal for a 2-0 lead.
- It was Barnes’ team-leading fifth goal in all competitions this season.
- Dynamo Homegrown Player Bryan Salazar made his professional debuting, starting at forward and playing 60 minutes.
- Dynamo rookie defender Anthony Arena also made his professional debut, starting at center back and playing 90 minutes to help keep a clean sheet.
- Houston goalkeeper Tyler Deric earned his first career U.S. Open Cup shutout and win.
- It was also Dixon’s first career Open Cup goal.
- It was Chabala's eighth career assist in all competitions with the Dynamo. He is now tied with Eddie Robinson for 14th on the franchise list.
- The defeat ends an impressive Open Cup run for FC Tucson. Founded in 2010, the club joined the Premier Development League in 2012 and qualified for the 2013 Open Cup in their first season of eligibility. FC Tucson defeated Phoenix FC (USL Pro) and the San Antonio Scorpions (NASL) to reach the third round.
Houston Dynamo vs. FC Tucson
Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, third round
May 29, 2013 – BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston, TX
Houston: Alex Dixon 1 (Mike Chabala 1) 26
Houston: Giles Barnes 1 (unassisted) 85
Houston Dynamo: Tyler Deric; Brian Ownby, Bobby Boswell, Anthony Arena, Mike Chabala; Warren Creavalle, Luiz Camargo (Adam Moffat 83), Alex Dixon; Bryan Salazar (Andrew Driver 60), Brian Ching (Giles Barnes 72), Jason Johnson
Substitutes not used: Erich Marschedier, Kofi Sarkodie, Will Bruin, Eric Brunner
FC Tucson: Dallas Jaye; Tim Harbison, Greg Carter, Travis Campbell, Edgar Reyna; Eli Galbraith-Knapp, Brandon Zimmerman, Connor Brandt (Conner Bevans 64), Ricardo Velazco, David Clemens (Stephen Posa 79); Saeed Robinson (Dakota Collins 64)
Subs not used: Michael D’Arrigo, Kevin Gould
FCT: Saeed Robinson (caution) 26
HOU: Warren Creavalle (caution) 71
FCT: Brandon Zimmerman (caution) 84
Referee: Eli Aguilar
Referee's Assistants: Greg Boles, Daniel Vehabovic
4th Official: Kyle Phillips