The auditions keep coming for the Houston Dynamo. After having Daniel Cruz and Miler Castillo in for trials for parts of the last two weeks, the club will entertain two more trialists — Costa Rican midfielder Álvaro Sánchez and an unnamed player — beginning with Friday’s training.
“He’s a good goal-scorer,” head coach Dominic Kinnear said of Sánchez, who is currently on the books of Costa Rican first-division club San Carlos. “We’ve talked about improving our attack, and we want to take a look at him. Hopefully if he scores goals there, he can score goals here.”
Sánchez — who has appeared seven times with the Costa Rican national team and was on the Ticos’ preliminary roster for last month’s Gold Cup — has tallied eight goals this season for San Carlos, according to the club’s website. The 26-year-old had a previous MLS loan stint with FC Dallas in 2009 that saw him make three appearances for Schellas Hyndman’s club. However, he returned to San Carlos without a deal.
Kinnear shot down reports this week suggesting the deal was done, stressing that the midfielder will be trialing with the club and no deal has been made. Sánchez will be joined by another trialist — who Kinnear declined to identify — and Castillo. Currently on the books at Mexican second-division side Lobos BUAP, Castillo began his trial in Houston on June 29 and has battled a quad strain for most of his time with the club. Despite the injury, the Ecuadorian forward put in 45 minutes in last Sunday’s 3-1 reserve win over Monterrey’s U-20 squad.
“We’d like to see more from Miler,” Kinnear said after Tuesday’s training. “We thought we saw something with his pace the first couple of days, but we want him to be more assertive and get around the ball more.”
Kinnear is hoping to get a look at Castillo, Sánchez, and the unnamed trialist in the Dynamo Charities Cup match against Bolton Wanderers on July 20.
“We have three games this week, so we’ll be mixing and matching lineups,” Kinnear said. “The [transfer] window opens Friday, and there’s no better thing [to] do than see [the trialists] against good competition. It’s been intense for a week leading up to [the window opening], and I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more [players] coming in over the next few months.”
Cruz out of Dynamo camp
While the Dynamo are bringing in two new trialists on Friday, they saw one depart camp this week. Cruz — who has been with Germinal Beerschot in Belgium since 2002 — chose to end his one-week trial despite the Dynamo requesting he stay through the Bolton match.
“We invited him to stay longer, but he declined,” Kinnear said. “I liked him as a player and he looked to fit in well with the guys, but it came to a point where we probably weren’t going to come to an agreement, which is probably why he wanted to leave early.”
Darrell Lovell covers the Houston Dynamo for MLSsoccer.com. Follow him on twitter at @Dynamoexaminer.