Houston Dynamo at New York City FC
Saturday, May 30, 6:00 p.m. CT
Yankee Stadium, New York City, New York
ROOT SPORTS (Alternate Channel) - 6:00 p.m. (5:30 p.m. pregame) CHANNEL LISTINGS
Telexitos - 6:00 p.m. (5:30 p.m. pregarme) CHANNEL LISTINGS
Yahoo Sports Radio 1560 AM - 6:00 p.m. (5:30 p.m. pregarme)
La Ranchera 850 AM / 101.7 FM - 6:00 p.m. (5:30 p.m. pregarme)
New York City FC will look to reverse their recent slide when they play host to the Houston Dynamo in the first meeting ever between the clubs on Saturday evening at Yankee Stadium. NYCFC saw their winless run extended to 10 games last time out, dropping a 2-0 decision to Real Salt Lake last weekend. The Dynamo kicked off their road swing by seeing their two-game winning run put to an end in a 1-0 loss at the LA Galaxy.
REFEREE: Sorin Stoica. AR1 (bench): Claudio Badea; AR2 (opposite): Eric Weisbrod; 4th: Mathieu Bourdeau
MLS Career: 33 games; FC/gm: 28.4; Y/gm: 4.1; R: 15; pens: 19
INJURY REPORT, PRESENTED BY HOUSTON METHODIST (as of Thursday, May 28)
HOUSTON DYNAMO – DOUBTFUL: Brad Davis – Right knee bone bruise; QUESTIONABLE: David Horst – Right knee MCL sprain
NEW YORK CITY FC – OUT: Javier Calle – R quad strain; Josh Williams – L adductor strain; QUESTIONABLE: Ned Grabavoy – pelvic injury; Chris Wingert – R hamstring irritation; Jeb Brovsky – R quad strain; RJ Allen – R quad strain
- ALL-TIME: First meeting.
- FUTURE MATCH: None.
- Coaches record: Owen Coyle vs. NYC: first game … Jason Kreis vs. HOU: P14 W3 L7 D4
The Houston Dynamo had their two-game winning streak put to an end, the LA Galaxy getting the only goal of the game late for a victory Friday evening at StubHub Center. The Dynamo are in a tie for eighth place in the Western Conference with 16 points from 13 matches.
- The game's lone goal came well into second-half stoppage time. Robbie Keane -- who had come on as a substitute in his return to action -- hooked the ball toward the top of the six from the left corner of the penalty area and fellow substitute Alan Gordon put a looping header over Dynamo goalkeeper Tyler Deric and inside the left-post netting.
- The Galaxy did finish the match a man down after Oscar Sorto was sent off following the goal after taking down Dynamo defender David Horst from behind as they chased a clearance after a Houston corner kick.
- Dynamo head coach Owen Coyle made no changes to the team that defeated the Portland Timbers 3-1 at BBVA Compass Stadium.
- HOUSTON DYNAMO (4-4-1-1): Tyler Deric - Raul Rodriguez, David Horst, Jermaine Taylor, DaMarcus Beasley - Boniek Garcia (Alexander Lopez 66), Luis Garrido (Nathan Sturgis 54), Ricardo Clark, Brad Davis - Giles Barnes - Will Bruin (Rob Lovejoy 88).
- Dynamo head coach Owen Coyle made one change to the team that defeated Toronto FC 2-1 at BMO Field. Brad Davis came into the midfield in place of Alexander Lopez.
- HOUSTON DYNAMO (4-4-1-1): Tyler Deric - Raul Rodriguez, David Horst, Jermaine Taylor, DaMarcus Beasley - Boniek Garcia (Alexander Lopez 74), Luis Garrido, Ricardo Clark, Brad Davis - Giles Barnes - Will Bruin (Rob Lovejoy 90).
- The Dynamo had their two-game winning streak put to an end in the loss at the Galaxy. The Dynamo have allowed a single goal in each of their last four games – going 2-2-0.
- “We came here in good form. I think we certainly deserved something, we never got it, but that’s what this game does,” Dynamo head coach Owen Coyle said. “It can be a cruel, cruel game. We have to pick ourselves up and we go again.”
- The Dynamo have been shut out at the attacking end five times this season. They have lost four of those games by 1-0 scorelines.
- “I think we got caught a little spread out,” goalkeeper Tyler Deric said. “It was late in the game and we could’ve been more organized and that falls on my shoulders. I’ll take responsibility for that. I don’t remember them having too many clear-cut chances on goal. I really didn’t have too many saves to make. That’s why it’s unfortunate to lose the way we did especially with a header in the last couple minutes of the game."
- Said Coyle: “We are certainly trying to implement some ideas and have a platform to move forward. You don’t come in with fairy dust and think everything falls into place, it takes hard work, it takes repetition and training, it takes good players to implement those ideas and that is what we are trying to do.”
- For Brad Davis, the loss at the Galaxy was the 350th league appearance in his career – sixth-most all-time among MLS players.
- Nathan Sturgis was the only change to the group that played in the win against Portland, coming off the substitutes’ bench for the final 36 minutes for his first appearance since May 1.
- “We have a good team, we are in the process of building that from what we inherited last year and we know moving forward, I have said it before, when you come into the champions and perform as we did two games like that then you are going to cause everybody else a lot of problems,” Coyle said.
- On Thursday, the Dynamo’s scheduled friendly with Manchester City FC at BBVA Compass Stadium was canceled due to unsafe field conditions.