- Advanced the Dynamo to the Round of 16 in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup for the third consecutive year.
- Improved Houston’s all-time record in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup to 12-10-1.
- Gave the Dynamo a 1-0-0 record against North Carolina FC.
- Was Houston’s first win away from BBVA Compass Stadium this season.
DYNAMO STARTING XI (4-4-2):
- Joe Willis; Kevin Garcia, Taylor Hunter, Jalil Anibaba, Dylan Remick; Eric Bird, Joseph Holland, Charlie Ward, Memo Rodriguez; Vicente Sánchez, Andrew Wenger
- The 109th-minute goal from MF Memo Rodriguez was the latest goal scored by a Dynamo player this season, topping a 90th-minute penalty kick by FW Erick Torres at Atlanta on May 20.
- The Dynamo went to added extra time for the sixth time in 23 U.S. Open Cup matches. Houston is now 1-4-1 in games that go beyond regulation in the competition.
- The Dynamo conceded the opening goal of the match when North Carolina FC DF Steven Miller scored in the fourth minute. It was the eighth time this season that the Dynamo conceded the first goal, and Houston is 2-6-0 in those games.
- North Carolina FC’s goal in the fourth minute was the earliest goal conceded by the Dynamo this season. Previously the earliest goal allowed had been an 11th-minute penalty kick goal by Diego Valeri at Portland on March 18.
- The Dynamo and North Carolina FC were tied at halftime, 1-1. It was the fourth time this season that the team was tied at intermission. Houston is 1-2-1 this year when the score is level at halftime.
- The Dynamo took a lead on the road for the second time this season when DF Dylan Remick scored in the 62nd minute to put Houston up 2-1.
- The Dynamo set a season high for goals on the road with three. They scored two in a 4-2 loss at Portland on March 18.
- The match was delayed for 88 minutes due to lightning around the stadium in the 88th minute. It was Houston’s first weather-delayed match of the season. The Dynamo played four games last year that were delayed or postponed due to weather issues.
INDIVIDUAL PLAYER NOTES:
- GK Joe Willis notched his fifth win in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup play for the Dynamo.
- Willis made his seventh start in the Open Cup for Houston, which puts him past Tally Hall for first place in the Dynamo record book in the competition.
- MF Memo Rodriguez scored his first goal for the Dynamo first team in dramatic fashion. His strike in the 109th minute proved to be the match-winner in Houston’s 3-2 victory.
- Rodriguez made his first start for the Dynamo across all competitions and his fourth appearance of the season overall.
- FW Andrew Wenger scored his first goal of the season and his first for the club in U.S. Open Cup play when he tapped in a cross from FW Vicente Sánchez in the 25th minute. It was Wenger’s seventh goal for the club across all competitions.
- Wenger made his third appearance and third start in U.S. Open Cup play tonight. Wenger started in two U.S. Open Cup matches last year with the Dynamo and registered one assist in the competition.
- DF Dylan Remick scored his second goal with the Dynamo when he stole the ball off of a North Carolina player 25 yards from goal, took two touches and placed a right-footed shot in the lower left corner of the goal in the 62nd minute.
- Remick made his seventh start of the year for the Dynamo and his first for the club in U.S. Open Cup play.
- FW Vicente Sánchez registered his first assist for the Dynamo when he set up FW Andrew Wenger for a tap-in goal in the 25th minute.
- Sánchez made his Open Cup debut for the Dynamo and his 10th appearance for the club overall this season. He made his first start in Orange tonight.
- Sanchez wore the captain’s armband for the Dynamo, his first match as captain for the club.
- DF Jalil Anibaba made his third appearance and second start for the Dynamo in U.S. Open Cup competition.
- MF Jose Escalante made his 2017 Dynamo debut when he came in as a substitute for MF Joseph Holland in the 81st minute. It was also Escalante’s debut in Open Cup play.
- DF Taylor Hunter made his 2017 Dynamo debut tonight. Hunter has played in two U.S. Open Cup matches for the Dynamo with one start.
- DF Kevin Garcia made his U.S. Open Cup debut for Houston and will be making his third appearance and second start of the 2017 season across all competitions.
- FW Ruben Luna made his Dynamo debut when he came on for FW Vicente Sánchez in the 78th minute.
- The midfield trio of Eric Bird, Joseph Holland and Charlie Ward all made their U.S. Open Cup debuts for the club.
- Bird and Ward also made their debuts for the club across all competitions when they took the pitch for the opening whistle.
- MF Jorginho James made his Dynamo debut when he came on for MF Memo Rodriguez in the 111th minute.