MLSsoccer.com voting for 2011 AT&T MLS Goal of the Year moved to the Second Round this week, with two Dynamo goals - both from Adam Moffat - among the 32 remaining contestants, narrowed down from 64 nominees that paticipated in the First Round last week.
To choose the Goal of the Year, MLSsoccer.com has organized a World Cup-style tournament, complete with group stages. Here's how it all works:
- 64 goals will be nominated: the 32 winners of the AT&T Goal of the Week, plus 32 goals chosen by a panel of MLSsoccer.com's editorial staff
- The First Round (voting open Oct. 25-29) will consist of the 64 nominated goals placed in 16 groups of four. The top two in each group, as determined by an online vote, will advance to the Second Round.
- The Second Round (Oct 30-Nov 2) will consist of the 32 remaining goals, placed into eight groups of four. The top two in each group, as determined by an online vote, will advance to the Round of 16.
- The Round of 16 (Nov 3-10) will consist of the 16 remaining goals, placed in four groups of four. The top goal in each group, as determined by the combination of online voting and text voting, will advance to the Final group.
- The Final Four (Nov 11-14) will consist of the 4 remaining goals, placed in a group. The AT&T Goal of the Year winner will be determined by the combination of online voting and text voting.
Now in the Second Round, Moffat's first goal - a long-range half-volley against Portland on August 14 - is in Group 5, battling Juan Agudelo from New York, David Beckham from the LA Galaxy, and Lamar Neagle from the Seattle Sounders. Check out all the goals and try to send Moffat all the way in the poll at right.
Moffat's other goal from the season - a cannon from even farther out against the LA Galaxy on October 23 - is in Group 8, taking on Teal Bunbury from Kansas City, Carlos Ruiz from Philadelphia, and Tyson Wahl from Seattle. See the goals and help Moffat kick some tail in the poll at right.