MLSsoccer.com opened voting for 2011 AT&T MLS Goal of the Year on Tuesday, with at least four Dynamo goals expected to be among the 64 nominees.
To choose the Goal of the Year, MLSsoccer.com has organized a World Cup-style tournament, complete with group stages. Here's how it all works:
- 64 goals will be nominated: the 32 winners of the AT&T Goal of the Week, plus 32 goals chosen by a panel of MLSsoccer.com's editorial staff
- The First Round (voting open Oct. 25-29) will consist of the 64 nominated goals placed in 16 groups of four. The top two in each group, as determined by an online vote, will advance to the Second Round.
- The Second Round (Oct 30-Nov 2) will consist of the 32 remaining goals, placed into eight groups of four. The top two in each group, as determined by an online vote, will advance to the Round of 16.
- The Round of 16 (Nov 3-10) will consist of the 16 remaining goals, placed in four groups of four. The top goal in each group, as determined by the combination of online voting and text voting, will advance to the Final group.
- The Final Four (Nov 11-14) will consist of the 4 remaining goals, placed in a group. The AT&T Goal of the Year winner will be determined by the combination of online voting and text voting.
In the First Round of voting, rookie Alex Dixon's dramatic game-winner from August 20 was placed in Group C alongside Juan Agudelo from New York, Kenny Cooper from Portland, and Nick LaBrocca from Chivas USA. View the competition below and vote 'Woohoo' for Dixon in the poll at right.
Adam Moffat's first long-range blast joined the balloting on October 27, matched up in Group K against Alvaro Fernandez from Seattle, Andy Najar from D.C., and Bobby Convey from San Jose. Check out the goals below, but be sure to go long with your vote for Moffat in the poll at right.
For the fans who made the trek to Portland, Danny Cruz rewarded them with a left-footed bomb from 30 yards out. Now it's time to return the favor. Vote for Danny and ensure that he advances to the next round of the Goal of the Year tournament!
WATCH: Group O
Adam Moffat ended the regular season with a strike that kick-started the Dynamo offense against LA. Vote for Adam for his second long-range blast of the season that also earned him Goal of the Week honors for Week 32.
WATCH: Group P