The Houston Dynamo dropped a 1-0 result to Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday to close out the first month of the season with a 1-2-1 record (4 points) in the middle of the pack in the Western Conference standings. Here are news and notes from Saturday's match:
- The home team has won all eight matches in the series between the two clubs. Houston returns to Vancouver on May 28 and hosts the Whitecaps on July 23.
- Houston was shut out for the first time this season. Vancouver and GK David Ousted have the last two clean sheets against the Dynamo. The Whitecaps blanked Houston 3-0 in the 2015 season finale at BC Place on Oct. 25.
- The last goal on a penalty conceded by the Dynamo was on Oct. 4, 2015 at FC Dallas when Mauro Diaz scored from the spot.
- The Dynamo conceded a goal from a penalty for the first time this season. Houston gave up five penalty kicks to its opponents in 2015, all of which were converted. It was Vancouver’s fourth penalty kick goal in four games this season, all taken and converted by Morales.
- The Dynamo conceded the first goal of the match for the third time in four outings this season. Houston is now 0-2-1 when surrendering the opening goal.
- The Dynamo trailed at halftime for the first time this season. Houston was 1-7-2 last season when trailing at intermission.
- Houston out shot Vancouver, 17 to 12. The 17 shots by the Dynamo were a season high, one more than they registered a week ago at the New York Red Bulls (3/19).
- The Dynamo held the edge in possession, holding the ball 53.2 percent of the match. That marked a season high for Houston, bettering the 52.1 percent time of possession in the season-opener vs. New England (3/6).
- The Dynamo also set season highs in corner kicks (seven) and crosses (32) in the match. The previous highs in each category were five corner kicks (twice) and 25 crosses (3/6 vs. New England).